We all know MS Outlook is the most popular desktop-based email client, which develops by Microsoft. In today’s scenario, many business-person and organization are using Outlook to send/receive their emails because it provides many advanced features and security. But sometimes it does work as we expected. One of the issues that users are commonly facing is Outlook 2016 search not working due to updating or upgrading the Outlook or Windows latest versions.
If the MS Outlook search is not giving accurate results then follow the various methods to resolve the issues.
Simple and free ways to fix search issues and repair PST-
Way 1: Check Outlook indexing status
Before moving the methods to fix the issues of the Outlook search option, first of all, check the indexing status of Outlook. To check the status follow the instructions:
a) If the search tab is displaying in Outlook
- Open Outlook 2016 in the system.
- Click on the search tab in the menu bar, and then click on search tools and select the indexing status.
- If the Outlook file left its indexing, it will show 0 items remaining for indexed >>Proceed with OK button.
b) If the search tab is missing in Outlook
You can add the search tab yourself if it is missing from the MS Outlook by few steps.
- Click on the File tab >> Click on options >> Select Customize ribbon.
- Click on Choose commands from the Customize ribbon settings area, and select All Tabs from the drop-down menu.
- Select the search tab from the list of Tab selections. Select search >> click on Add button>> click on OK button.
Way 2: Check Rebuild Index
After checking the indexing status, move to fix method. In this case, if the Outlook file is left to be indexed and the user is not getting the expected result from the search option, then rebuild the index using Advanced indexing options. Follow the steps:
- Open Outlook in the system.
- Click on File option >> options >> select Search.
- Click on indexing options from the search options area. >> Click on Advanced in the indexing options of the dialog box.
- Press on the YES button in the User Account Control Prompt.
- Select the Rebuild button from the troubleshooting section. Click on OK.
Note: The index Rebuild procedure will take some time, then Restart the system.
Way 3: Check Outlook 2016 index status
After rebuilding the index, the search is not producing the appropriate results, in this case, there is a need to check the Outlook 2016 listed in indexing options or not. Follow the steps:
- Open MS Outlook in the system.
- Click on File>> options and then select on the Search option.
- Click on Modify.
- Check the checkboxes Microsoft Outlook, if it is empty. Select it and click on OK then restart the PC.
Way 4: Repair Outlook data
If the above method is not helpful in Outlook 2016 search not working issue then there is a tool provided by the Microsoft SCANPST.EXE which will help in repairing the minor corrupted Outlook PST file data. This tool is easy and based on the location of scanpst.exe in different Outlook versions.
Locations of SCANPST. exe in different Outlook versions –
In Outlook 2019
- Click to Run installation OR Office 365: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office19
In Outlook 2016
- Click to 64-bit version of Windows: <C>\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Click to a 32-bit version of Windows: <C>\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
In Outlook 2013
- For 32-bit version of Windows: <C>\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15
- For 64-bit version of Windows: <C>\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15
In Outlook 2010
- On a 32-bit edition: <C>\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
- On a 64-bit edition: <C>\Program Files\Microsoft Office(x86)\Office
In Outlook 2007
- On a 32-bit: <C>\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
- On a 64-bit: <C>\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
After getting the location of SCANPST.EXE then follow the steps.
- Right-click the SCANPST executable location.
- Select Run as administrator.
- Browse PST file >> click Open >> and click on Start button.
- After getting details displayed by the utility, click the Repair Button.
- The PST data file will be repaired as per their size.
After reading the above blog, you will get to know about the MS Outlook 2016 search not working issues and their solution. With the above right approach, you will able to fix the Outlook search issues. If you are unable to get the best results in Outlook repairing then I must recommend for the Third-Party Outlook PST Repair tool.
Helpful Topic: Repair Corrupted Header In Outlook PST 2013, 2016